As the year comes to a close and holiday shopping begins, it’s time to reflect on your finances. Some people may want to remove their debt, manage their budget, or improve their credit score. A credit score typically ranges between 300 and 850, and the higher the number, the better. Credit scores may seem like a mysterious concept, but changing your credit score is as easy as changing your spending habits. We want to share a few tips that VFCU members can do to improve their scores naturally.
Know Your Credit Score
We offer a free credit score check through our banking app! Several components go into a credit score, including:
- Money owed –How many creditors have you borrowed from?
- Credit history – Do you have a variety of old and newly opened credit accounts?
- History of new credit – How often are you applying for several accounts in a short period?
- Type of account – Are you borrowing only credit cards, or is it a variety of loans, mortgages, etc.
- Payment history – Do you pay your bills on time and pay the total amount or the minimum?
Practice Smart Borrower’s Habits
The top consumer credit bureaus in North America include Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. According to Experian, you can slowly increase your credit score by:
- Setting up automatic bill payments.
- Apply for secured loans to build credit.
- Don’t max out your credit cards or get too close to your limit.
- Update your budget to include your credit card and loan payments.
- Avoid credit card scams and repair scams that can damage your score.
Download Our Mobile App
Our mobile services can help you:
- Pay your bills on time with Bill Pay.
- Track your finances with our Mobile Money App.
- Send money to other people using Zelle.
- Easily upload your checks through Mobile Check Deposit.
- Shop for the holidays safely, using Apple Pay and U Choose Rewards.