Setting up good financial habits is a great way to start your financial journey! It’s never too early to begin saving. But how do you get started with Valley FCU? Our best local federal credit union Harlingen has to offer, wants to share a few financial steps you can take at any stage of your life:
Save money this time of year, and sign up for Holiday Skip-a-Payment.
Building in Your 20’s
- Put Yourself First. Acknowledge what you’d like to have while in your twenties, treat yourself to trips to coffee and treat yourself every once in a while. Download the Mobile Banking App to keep track of expenses.
- Be Prepared. Creating an emergency fund for emergencies is something that can be beneficial for you in the long run. You never know when you might need those finances, so putting money on the side can benefit you in the future.
- Start Saving. Choose an amount to save from each paycheck. Consider investing it early in a Roth IRA for future wealth.
Security in Your 30’s
- Reduce Debt. Minimize your credit payments if possible, although if you are in debt already, it’s best to try and pay them off as soon as possible to avoid interest fees and billing rates. Our local federal credit union offers consolidation loans!
- Get Insured. Ideally, you’d want to be insured and protected regarding your finances, your home, your car, and your family. This would generally be the time to take advantage of available home, auto, and life insurance.
- Create a Goal. With VFCU, you can create a STAR Checking account to make everyday finances easier. Write down your top three financial goals, list the date, create a plan, and start saving towards that goal.
Your Thrifty 40’s
- Plan Ahead. Take care of yourself, and be sure to live life accordingly. If you’re married or with children, it’s time to consider a trust account for your family.
- Buckle-Down on Saving. Tweak your monthly expenses accordingly, enjoy your life as best you can, and consider specific entertainment plans or even some services that can benefit you and your family.
- Grow Your Wealth. Increase your savings goals and savings earnings if possible. Take a moment to view your finances and investments and see if you can still meet your financial goals.
Rock Your Financial 50’s
- Plan for the Future. Make sure to have all your finances in place to help your family. Plan and see what certain conditions need to be met, and work around them. Whether it’s college funds or home improvements, any finance source benefits you and your family.
- Think Long-Term. By the time you are 50, it’s essential to think about specific insurances that help benefit you in the long run. Services like long-term care, health insurance, and disability insurance are just a few things to consider when planning.
- Adjust Retirement Savings. With retirement just around the corner, take some time to adjust your retirement savings if necessary to meet your goals.
Financial Fun for Ages 60+
- Have Fun. Spend your finances on what you’d need, and take some time to enjoy it! All your hard work has paid off, and it’s time to enjoy life to the fullest!
- Plan Your Legacy. While your finances are in place, consider where your money might go after you pass away. Donating it to charity, or maybe giving all your finances to a loved one, is just one way to ensure your money is going to good use! No worries, and no problem!
- Protect Your Financial Assets. Consider saving your assets in a safety deposit box with VFCU.
Finance with VFCU
Life is unpredictable, but your finances don’t have to be. Borrow with our federal credit union in Harlingen, and enjoy the low-interest rates compared to Harlingen banks. Ask a VFCU loan provider about the following:
- Shared Secured Loans
- Personal Signature Loans
- New and Used Auto Loans
- Motorcycle, Boat, and RV Loans
Contact our Local Federal Credit Union in Harlingen
Contact Us for more information and see if you can become a member of VFCU! Get the loan you need today in time for the holidays. Remember to take advantage of our Holiday Skip-a-Payment.