Traveling for your holiday can be risky, especially if you do not plan ahead. Planning and booking things early, like flights and hotels, can make a difference. So can saving your money. Instead of traveling at risk, find a money-saving strategy that best fits your style and stick to it! Here are a few tips and tricks from banks in Harlingen to keep in mind when planning your holiday!
Plan Early and Optimize Your Budget
Plan for your holiday travels at least ten months in advance; although it may seem much, it will help you later. Use travel websites and find deals online to get the best for your budget.
- Share meals at local restaurants to reduce individual costs and experience a variety of cuisines.
- Using the VFCU Mobile Money App to track your expenses in real-time and stay accountable.
- Pack essentials, such as winter clothing and toiletries, to avoid last-minute purchases at your destination.
- Timing your currency exchanges, if traveling internationally, can save you money on conversion fees.
- Opt for public transportation instead of expensive taxi services to explore without breaking the bank.
- Traveling during off-peak times can lead to lower prices on flights, accommodation, and less crowded activities.
- Offset travel expenses with a STAR Checking account for applicable discounts or complimentary services.
- Bring snacks and a reusable water bottle to avoid unnecessary expenses on food and beverages while exploring.
- Take advantage of early bird discounts by booking your accommodation and transportation well in advance.
- Use online platforms, travel agencies, and discount websites to compare prices for flights, accommodations, and activities.
- Break down your budget into daily spending limits to help you manage your expenses on a day-to-day basis, preventing overspending early on.
- Include an emergency fund in your budget to account for unexpected expenses.
- Research and include free or low-cost activities, such as museums, parks, etc.
- Set a budget for souvenirs and consider purchasing meaningful items instead of what looks good in the moment.
- Start by determining the total amount you’re willing to spend on accommodations, transportation, activities, meals, and experiences.
Contact Hotels Directly
If there are a few hotels that you are considering staying in, it’s best to do your research and contact them online or by phone. There, you can get ahold of their best prices and rooms that best fit your accommodations.
Pay in Local Currency to Avoid Fees
If you’re considering traveling to a different country or region, it’s better to use their standard currency than a credit card or cash. Skip the fees, use your bank card to attain foreign currency, and experience fewer issues with your travel expenses.
Pack Smart and Stay Organized
Luggage fees, and buying double of what you have at home is an airport nightmare. Remember to look up TSA luggage weights while packing, use a scale at home to check, and you’re your travel go-to items to avoid unnecessary spending.
Download a VFCU Mobile Money App
Experience banking at your fingertips with the VFCU Mobile Money App – your go-to hub for seamless financial management. Get ready for a powerhouse of services and member benefits right on your mobile device. With our app, members not only enjoy the convenience of mobile banking and bill pay but also receive their free credit score upon sign-up.
- Dive into a world of rewards with UChoose.
- Breeze through transactions with Apple Pay.
- Effortlessly send money to others using Zelle
- Take the hassle out of depositing checks with our mobile check deposit feature.
Want to keep tabs on your credit score? Easy – just tap the ‘My Credit Sense’ button in your banking app, follow a quick enrollment process, and voilà! You’ll have access to your credit score, tips on improvement, and credit monitoring alerts.
Open a STAR Checking Account with Banks in Harlingen
Ready to level up your banking experience? The STAR Checking account provides a world of awesome perks without breaking the bank! Open an account online, and enjoy unlimited transactions, overdraft protection, and a bunch of freebies, including a Visa Debit, online banking, bill pay, and more. But that’s not all – think exclusive travel benefits, movie and grocery discounts, extended warranties, and even health perks like eyewear and pharmacy discounts. And guess what? It’s all packed into a monthly fee of just $8.00. Embrace the STAR life – a perk unlike others at banks in Harlingen.