How often do you shop online? It’s more normal than ever to shop for everything online. That also means there is a bigger risk for your information to be tracked. This month is national Cybersecurity Month.
Our credit union Brownsville location wants to share a few tips on being cyber-safe, and the services we provide to protect your information on the go.
Protect Yourself Against Cyberattacks
Cyberattacks are malicious attempts to access your information as well as harm your devices in the process. Generally, cyberattacks can lead to the following:
● Loss of money
● Personal theft
● Financial theft
● Stolen medical information
To prevent such an attack, it’s important to know how to protect yourself, your device, and your information! You can avoid cyber risks by:
- Limit personal information online.
- Use a password manager and two methods of verification.
- Check your account statements and credit reports regularly.
- Keep your software applications and operating systems up to date.
- Change your privacy settings and omit the usage of location features.
- Create strong passwords using upper-and-lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Don’t share PINs or passwords with anyone. Use devices that use biometric scans, for example, fingerprint scanners or facial recognition.
Remember, scammers will try to scare you, threaten, or offer you a deal on your debt or finances through a phone call, email, or text.
Stay Safe While Surfing the Web
Think before you click. When in doubt, DO NOT CLICK or share personal information online. You can also:
- Only use secure websites that use the valid certificate HTTPS://.
- Consider using a virtual private network (VPN) for greater privacy.
- Back up your files regularly in an encrypted file or file storage device.
- Use antivirus and anti-malware solutions and firewalls to block threats.
- Do not click on links in texts or emails from people you don’t know. Scammers can create fake links to websites.
- Remember that the government will not call, text, or contact you via social media about owing money.
- Protect your home or business using a secure internet connection and Wi-Fi network, and change passwords regularly.
- Be cautious about sharing personal financial information online, include bank account number, social security number, or credit card number.
Bank Safely with our Federal Credit Union Brownsville Location
VFCU includes banking services that cater to your lifestyle that are hassle-free. Our Mobile Banking App, and other member services safely assist you with your financial goals. Check out:
- Zelle ®
- Apple Pay
- Uchoose Rewards
- Mobile banking deposit
- Online banking and bill pay
Did you know, Valley FCU members eligible to receive a free credit score just for signing up on the app! Download today.
Interested in our Local Federal Credit Union Brownsville Branch?
Contact us to of you have any questions regarding our services. Although preparing for future finances can be stressful, thanks to VFCU, you can receive many competitive rates for borrowing. Explore:
● Personal Loans (Brownsville area)